Remember the sketch I made for this costume? I’m happy to report, I came fairly close.
For the top, I started with a base running shirt from 2XU, which I bought solely because the color was perfect. I decided to get the long-sleeved version, just so I’d have some extra material to work with, in case I needed it. I wasn’t terribly fond of the shirt, other than the color, as it was a little tight for my liking, but it performed well on race day, which is all that really matters.
I put the shirt on inside out and marked where I wanted to start the puff sleeves. After removing the shirt, I carefully cut the sleeves off. Then I measured how long I wanted it to be, added a couple inches, and chopped off the sleeve at that point. After that, I ripped out the seam and cut it into four roughly equal pieces.
I later discovered that this didn’t make the sleeve poofy enough for my liking, so I did end up using the lower part of the sleeve to cut out two more sections. Glad I bought the long-sleeved shirt!
I was feeling broke and lazy, so I rummaged through my scrap box for some pink or purple fabric to use as the sleeve insets. I had about three choices, so I picked the one I liked the looks of with the skirt the best (as for the other choices, one was more hot pink and the other was too blue). I know it’s not the same color as the source photo, but, as I said, I was trying to avoid a trip to the fabric store.
I cut out pieces to match the lengths of the already-cut sleeve pieces, then arranged them out how they would be sewn together.
I pinned each piece, right-sides facing, and then sewed them all together.
I put in a basting stitch on both the top and bottom hem of the sleeve and used it to gather the material. I measured around my arm where the sleeve would end and cut out a piece of material to act as a band. I sewed it to the bottom hem of the sleeve, then I sewed the sleeve ends together.
Finally, I attached the sleeve to the shirt. (It sounds so simple to say this, but you don’t know how many times I accidentally sewed something wrong and had to redo it. I hate sewing, by the way.)
Once both sleeves were on there, I had to figure out what to do about the corseted look of the front. I ended up going to the fabric store anyway. (So I might as well have used the right color fabric on the sleeves. Oh well.) I rummaged through the trim and ribbon aisle until I found some lace stuff that looked like it could double as eyelets. Score! Way easier than actually sewing eyelets.
I used the lace trim around the neck of the shirt (since her dress has lace around the collar), and then laboriously hand-stitched the trim down the front of the shirt in two lines. When that was done, I laced the pink ribbon through it. Voila!
The skirt was easy. I bought it from SparkleSkirts.
I looked all over Disney World for either a Pascal or frying pan pin I could wear, but came up empty handed.
I also considered wearing a tiara, but I forgot to buy it. Probably would have been annoying anyway. I did style my hair to look like it had just gotten chopped off (like I literally got a hair cut the day before I left for Disney…at Great Clips, so it would look…rougher), but the humidity took that away from me.
Anyway, the costume was great! I had no issues with it on race day and would wear it again. 🙂
those sleeves are amazing! I haaaate sewing sleeves, especially puff sleeves.
Oh, I hate it too! I got all the way through Tangled, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, AND Lilo & Stitch before I finished them.
Wow! When I first saw your costume I was amazed at how perfect it was for Rapunzel & wondered where you got it – had no clue you made it yourself. Good job! Super jealous of your skills!